Monday, June 30, 2008

May 26+27

At the start of the new week I continued on exploring the various foodstuffs of Verona. While on the bus that lead us to our apartments one of the students who had come last year pointed out this little hole in the wall shop called Creative Hotdog, and spoke highly of the food there. Well, after my classes Monday, having not eaten breakfast (see a pattern yet), I was quite famished and decided to give them a try… Holy Jesus H. tap-dancing Christ! If ever in Verona, come to Creative Hotdog. On my dog I got a tomato sauce, onions, sauerkraut, and mustard, the entire assembly is rather sizable with a large but delicious bun and a decent sized hot dog cut in half length-wise and then placed to fill the bun. The toppings, appearing to be rather fresh, are piled atop the bun and dog and thrown into and oven to heat, the overall effect is quite amazing. After that I went to Verra Frutta, the produce shop near my place, and pick-ed up an apple, this thing was nearly as big as my head. For dinner I ate once again at the pizzeria across from San Fermo and had a “Verona” which was a cheese pizza with rugla, or as the translation called it “rocket lettuce”. It wasn’t bad and I enjoyed it, however after awhile the texture from the lettuce got to me, but that’s just me. I did however learn a lesson in the Italian restaurant culture, I.E. they will not bring you the check, you must ask for it, I spent at least half an hour learning that lesson. The next day we went to Venice, at the train station I picked up a caprese sandwich and Mikado to have on the train, Mikado is pretty much the same thing as Pocky. On the train I picked up a cup of espresso to have with my Mikado, worst choice I could make since I didn’t ask the cost first it ended up being four Euros for this really foul tasting coffee with only the recourse that the Mikado still tasted delicious. Later in the day a friend and I find a quiet pizzeria on the main canal where I got this great pizza with spicy salami red, pepper flakes, and Tabasco sauce.

No comments: